You can go to ‘insights’ to start building segments. A segment is a group of profiles with similar characteristics. You can determine these characteristics yourself with the filter button under the ‘Insights’ tab.
Click the filter button to build a new block.
- Select the profile attribute or event you want to segment with. In this example we only want to include profiles that are younger than 30 years old.
- Met het tweede veld geef je aan wat je met het kenmerk wilt doen:
- Does not equal
- Not Empty
- Less than
- Greater than
- Select a characteristic of the attribute that you want to segment. In the example this is 30.
- Click the check box to make the segment. The segment will be shown directly. If you do not want to make the segment, then click on the cross.
- If you want to include another characteristic in the segment, then you also need to fill out the next line. For example, if you want to email all profiles under 30 years of age, it is advisable to specify the segment with customers who have an e-mail address. You can do this by selecting ‘Email - Is not Empty’. In the following paragraph more will be explained about extensive segmentation.
- Under ‘Profile insights’ you can now see the number of profiles in your segment.
- Are you satisfied with the segment? Save the segment with the Save button.
- Do you want to extract the profiles from CM Data? With the Export function you can completely export the segment as .CSV. When you open the .CSV in Excel you see the same list as in CM Data.
CM Data also provides the option to develop a segment with multiple target groups. This is ideal if you want to send the same message to multiple target groups. For example: We know that profiles under 30 respond well to our promotion. We also know that profiles that have purchased a ticket for the event in 2018 show a higher level of interest. We would like to approach these two groups with one campaign. Expand the selection by adding an extra block in order to put all these profiles in one segment.
By clicking on the filter button you can add an extra group.
- With the first field you select the characteristic. This time the attribute is not profile data but information that comes from an Event. An Event is an event in one of the linked sources. In the example, the Event is a "Bought a ticket" (profile has bought a ticket).
- At this Event you can choose between "At least" or "At most".
- At least: Profiles that have purchased at least 1 ticket
- At Most: Profiles that have purchased at maximum 1 Ticket
- Enter the quantity in the third field. For example, if you only want to select customers who have purchased a ticket at least twice, make it "2". Do you want to select customers who have not purchased a ticket? Then select "At Most" | "0"
- You can add a date. This date is now on "Anytime". If you only want to select the profiles for which the ticket was sold on a specific date, you can enter a date.
- In the fifth field you can indicate whether you want to take certain characteristics of the Event into account. In our example, we only want to include ticket buyers from the "The Festival 2018" event.
- Click ‘regardless of the properties’. The window as shown above will appear.
- Click on the filter button
- In the first field, select ‘Name festival’: this means that you include the charactistic "name of the festival" in the selection.
- Determine, in the same way as with the segment structure, whether you want to use "Equals" or something else.
- Type the name in the last field, the app will automatically complete the field.
- Click on the check mark and close the pop-up window
6) Click on the check mark and the new segment is calculated. Now have now created a segment with profiles:
- Who's age is under 30 AND have an email address
- Who's purchased a ticket for The Festival 2018
7) Save your segment by clicking on the ‘save’ icon. Enter a name for your segment. You can optionally add a description. Click ‘Save Segment’ to complete the save.
After you have created the first segment, you can find it under the ‘Segments’ tab. ‘Segments’ is an overview of all segments that you have created and saved. You can also create a new segment with the "Add" button. Behind the saved segment is indicated how many profiles are
in the segment. At the far right of the segment are three dots. If you click these dots you will get two options:
- Sync: The first button causes the segment to appear in Address book. With Address Book you can kick off different campaigns. You can find more information on the Address Book Help Center.
- Delete: The second button makes sure that the saved segment is deleted. If you click on this, the segment will be taken directly from your overview. So be careful if you are not sure whether you will need a segment in the future.